Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday the 14th: Shopping for Malaysia (for reference - the day after our homestay)

On Monday the 14th, after class, I went to Chinatown with a girl from the group to look for linen pants for our trip to Malaysia. Malaysia is primarily Muslim, so we were expected to dress somewhat modestly while there. It's also very hot, though, so I figured linen pants were a good bet. (Everyone said they loved them, so I guess it was a good decision.) So here are some random pictures from our adventure!

^^ This is kind of ironic, because freedom of speech is pretty heavily restricted in Singapore. In fact, any gathering in public to discuss something of more than 3 people is *technically* prohibited.
^^ Shops in Chinatown.
^^ A random Hindu temple.
I'm not sure, but I would assume these are both apartment buildings.
Creepy mannequins in one of the Chinatown shops...













After Chinatown, we went to a shopping centre called Holland Village. It's pretty near to PGP (our dorms), and it's a really big complex with lots of shops and restaurants. It's a bit like Franklin Street, but bigger, and consolidated in a shopping centre setup. It's apparently a "cool" place for teenagers to hang out.

We ate at a hawker centre (think: food court, but rougher around the edges, and where each person owns his or her own stall and the food is healthier and more like home-cooked food than in an American food court) for dinner. Afterwards, we decided to split dessert, and figured we had to give Chendol, very popular among Singaporeans, another try.
I would explain it, but I don't entirely know what it is. I think I explained it in my food post, so just go back to that one if you want to know. It was not the best culinary experience I've ever had...but it was interesting and adventurous. I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment