Friday, June 25, 2010

Saturday the 12th, Part II: Singaporean Homestay II - The Two Singaporean Pastimes

After sitting around and talking of many things, we went out to enjoy the two Singaporean pastimes: eating and shopping! Lydia's house is really close to Orchard Road (remember I said that this is like the Champs Élysées of Singapore) and all of the "popular," "trendy" shopping places in Singapore.

Far East Plaza, which is essentially a mall. I bought a green polo shirt.
Lydia tried to feed us fried mars bars. They were sickening.
A Trendy candy shop! Lydia insisted on buying us macaroons, even though we were all so full!
Ion on Orchard - one of the swankiest malls in Singapore!
^^ Food court
^^ Just some food shop near the food court. I know it sounds stupid and closed-minded of me, but it was kind of surprising to see this in one of Singapore's ritziest malls.
^^ Oh yeah, soy sauce!
^^ A 3-storey escalator!
^^ Entrance to the men's bathroom (or "Gents," as they call it here)

After shopping, we went back to the house to "clean up" and change for church. Then we headed out for evening mass. The service was not really much different from most church services I've been to in my life. Here's a picture of us with the priest!

After church, we went out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant where we ate "family style" (but it's called "Dim Sum" in Chinese). It was one of the top 3 meals I've eaten while here.
We had dessert afterwards. I'm still not exactly sure what it was...it was simply called "Green Bean," but it didn't look or taste like a green bean. It was pretty good, but not very sweet and kind of strange.

After dinner, we just went home and hung out the rest of the night, talking and laughing harder than I've laughed in a long time. It was very low-key and a ton of fun! I'll post another post soon that gives more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment