Thursday, June 24, 2010

Miscellaneous Observations, Part II: Food!

Here is a collage of some of the food I've eaten! Yes, it is mostly chicken and rice...and prices are listed in Singapore dollars first, then US dollars.
1. Chicken rice (S$4.50/US$3.15) - a "traditional" Singaporean/Malaysian dish with subtly-flavored rice, roasted chicken, and chili sauce (I go light on the chili sauce - very spicy!)

2. Honey chicken rice (S$3/US$2.10) - honey-glazed chicken with rice and cabbage

3. Indian food (S$3/US$2.10)...I don't know the name, but I already blogged about it (see: Monday the 7th: Little India)

4. Egg & cheese prata with kopi (S$3/US$2.10) - a prata is like an Indian crêpe, and kopi is just brewed coffee with condensed milk. This is my standard breakfast, give or take an apple

5. Indonesian roasted chicken rice w/ aloe vera apple juice (S$4.80/US$3.36) - just like the other chicken and rice meals, but the chicken was spiced differently. One of the best chicken rice meals I've had, though I don't really know what about it qualifies it as "Indonesian"

6. Vegetarian meal? I know there's something there that looks like chicken, but I don't think it is. It only cost S$2/US$1.40, though.

7. Chendol! (S$1.80/US$1.26) - I described this in one of my first posts, but let me try again. Start with shaved ice. Add condensed milk sauce. Add sweetened red beans. Add some sort of brown syrup (wintermelon?). Add three weird, clear jelly things. Add green, tasteless gummies. My friend and I who split it still couldn't figure out how to like it. Each bite tasted completely different depending on how much of each thing you get. Overall, we didn't enjoy it, but we're told it is extremely popular among Singaporeans.

8. Lychee jello - I don't know the cost, because this was part of the meal seen in 9. Overall, the meal was S$14/US$9.80, and this was a "going out to a nice restaurant" meal. Lychee is a common fruit around here, and while I'm not crazy about it, this jello was actually really good.

9. Chicken rice (surprise, surprise), miso soup, shredded pork pastries (S$14/US$9.80) - This was a "prix-fixe" meal at a Dim Sum restaurant in a mall. Dim Sum, as far as I understand, is simply a Chinese idea of eating "lots of little dishes." I think one of the dishes usually includes these small round pastries (which are DELICIOUS). Anyway, this was a very nice meal in a very nice restaurant with a great atmosphere, and it was only about $10! Gotta love strong exchange rates!

No comments:

Post a Comment